Walker's Birth Story: Part One

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Walker's birthday was a pretty unexpected one. It was May 1st and I was exactly 39 weeks. We schedule all of my OB appointments on Fridays since that is the day of the week that my weeks changed and it is Luke's off day and the twins have preschool on Friday's so each Friday morning we would enjoy a mini date and OB appointment. We dropped the kids off at preschool and headed to the chiropractor. We both go to the chiropractor twice a month for wellness appointments but with my pregnancy nearing the end, I had been going each week for relief of sciatica and back pain, which I hardly had any at the end of my pregnancy and I credit it all to my awesome chiropractor.
As you also my have read in previous blog posts, my greatest desire was to have Walker vaginally, after my C-section with the twins (VBAC.) Going to the chiropractor was also helping get my pelvis into alignment in hopes to give my body the best chance for VBAC as well.
We had gotten adjusted and had a little bit of time before our appointment so we stopped at chick-fil-a and I got a chicken biscuit because I was starving. We then headed over to the sprint store to get my new iPhone. I had been eligible for a new phone for quite some time and my old phone had no memory left, so taking a picture was nearly impossible to do, and I wanted to get a phone with more memory to take lots of pictures before Walker's arrival. After we got my new phone, we headed over to the hospital where my doctor's office is. We checked in and did the routine weight, blood pressure and urine sample. I was excited to get my cervix checked again because the week before I was at 1cm and 50% effaced. I was hoping for more progress in hopes of having this baby vaginally. He checked me first thing and told me that I was still at 1cm, I was more effaced than I was last week and baby had still not dropped. He then took out a tape measurer and measured my belly. He seemed concerned. He then told me that my uterus had grown three times more than it should have since last week. He gave me an ultrasound and discovered that my polyhydramnios (high amniotic fluid levels) had worsened and my uterus was much larger than it should be and was starting to get dangerously large and I was at risk for rupture. He said we probably needed to get this show on the road. I said "Like, this weekend?" and he then said "Like, today." It was 11am and I said "when?" He asked me when I ate last, which I told him the chick-fil-a biscuit about an hour before, so he told me to come back at 2pm and plan on a C-section at 4pm. I began to cry and asked him if induction was possible rather than a C-section. He explained to me that if I had progressed more, he would have considered it but to only be at 1cm, and if he had to break my water, my over-distended uterus would go from SO big to so small than my placenta was at risk from tearing off my uterine wall, which would cause me to bleed out completely in 20 mins. He said it would be much safer to do the C-section and with baby's giant head, he just felt it was all too risky. I tearfully agreed. I still think if I was with a midwife at a birth center I would have had a better chance of VBAC but I do love and trust my OB so I went with it. He told me it was a good day for a birthday, as it was his birthday as well. It also happened to be two of my very best friends birthday's, so it was happening, we were going to have a May Day baby!
My tears of disappointment begin to mix with tears of excitement as I realized we had 2 hours to go home and pack and figure out what to do with the twins so we could come back and meet baby Walker. My doctor told me not to eat or drink anything at all, and he would see me in a couple of hours. WHAT?! We were going to have this baby and today!!! He also told me how sorry he was he couldn't give me my VBAC but to trust him that this was our safest option. I just pushed the fact the I was having another C-section to the back of my head and I told Luke to call our amazing friend (who we call Gi-Gi for God-Grandmother) who was on standby to watch the twins. She was available to come and amazingly dropped everything to come watch the twins. We went to pick the twins up from preschool where I tearfully told the teacher what was going on. We went upstairs to Luke's office and told the people who were there working that friday and I began to go from tears to joy. We called our parents and our sister in law and texted our closest friends to let them know what was going on. I told my mom and dad to go ahead and try to get a flight for as soon as possible because the twins would need care as I knew we would be in the hospital for three nights. We felt so blessed to know our kids were in such great care with Gi-Gi until my parents could arrive the next day.  I packed the rest of my bag, shaved my legs and touched up my hair and makeup and it was time! Gi-Gi prayed over us and we were off! With much anticipation we were off to go meet our precious baby Walker...

Waiting for the doctor before I knew it was going to be baby day! 

Getting ready to leave my sweet babies.

Go time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger