- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
- 1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth (I usually use vegetable)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground toasted cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
(Excuse the pics... I took them with my hubby's iPhone)
First chop up the carrot, onion and celery and add to the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. You will cook these for about 6-7 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
Next, add all of the other ingredients (tomatoes, lentils, broth and spices...
I have used vegetable and chicken broth before, and both are delish.
And bring just to a boil, then cover and simmer on low heat until lintels are tender, it takes me 45 minutes. Lastly, using a stick blender ( I don't have one, I just take a masher and start mashing) and puree until your preferred consistency.
Serve immediately and enjoy this HEALTHY, DELICIOUS, PERFECTLY FALL meal.