Birth Story (Part one)

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

This was with out a doubt the most special day of my life. As I sit down to write this, I wonder how I can begin to put into words all of the joy and emotion that Luke and I experienced on the day that our children came into this world. I don't think it is possible to do so, but I will do my best to describe it the only way I can...

Tuesday August 7th 2012- We went in for our weekly doctor's appointment. I was at this point, beginning to be miserable. I wanted to meet these babes so badly and the toll that the pregnancy was taking on my body was beginning to become extreme. My doctor stripped my membranes hoping to start things up naturally. He said we would still wait for the 38 week mark for induction, which was for the following Wednesday, August 15th, but he said there was a good chance I wouldn't didn't make it until then. After talking with him and looking at all of the fluid accumulating on my body, my increasing blood pressure (still only 128/88 at this point) and the good size of these babies, he decided to move the induction up to Saturday, August 11th. I went from waiting 8 days to waiting 4. This was seriously like winning the lottery! I didn't know how I could fathom carrying these sweet things for 8 more days, so when we shaved that in half, the excitement was UNREAL! A very small part of me did not want to be induced. I didn't really want pitocin contractions and I wanted my body say when it was time. But this was a VERY small part of me. I trust my doctor to the fullest degree and I was so ready to be relieved, physically, that I was just joyful that the time was approaching! These last four days were sweet days full of prayer, excitement and anticipation. I also literally could barley move. Getting up off the couch or out of bed was near impossible, sleep was non-existant, and the pain I experienced was getting major. Even through all of that, I felt such joy to be carrying these babies and I knew I would miss my belly and miss the experience of pregnancy. But I was certainly ready.
At the doctor on Tuesday

Friday August 10th- I woke up that morning knowing that tomorrow was the day! I hadn't been experiencing ANY contractions so I was pretty sure I would make it until 6am Saturday. Being the planner that I am, it was nice to be able to make sure everything was packed and loaded in the car, that my legs were shaved and that nothing would be forgotten in a frantic rush. My parents came in that night and we had pizza with them and my in-laws in our condo as we knew with excitement that this would be the last days of two Davidsons. 
As I got into bed that night, I became very emotional. Luke and I laid in bed discussing how awesome the last 8 years of dating/engament/marriage have been. We started dating at age 16, so we felt the Lord had blessed us with so much time establishing us as a couple that this was just clearly the next step that we were so ready for. At the same time it was the end of an era. Tears fell from my eyes as I vocalized how much I loved him and how different things were going to be. A very good different, but different none the less. The precious time of just the two of us was SO special and the Lord allowed us to travel to Israel, Ireland, Africa, the Dominican Republic, go on many beach vacations, weekend getaways and move three times all by the young age of 25. How awesome. I let go of those feelings and then began to cry as I felt my belly. We both put out hands on it, feeling the precious kicks for the last time. I would miss these sweet movements. As much as I loved being pregnant, I knew that I was ready. 
After countless trips to the bathroom that night, Luke laid on the floor in the nursery to attempt to get some sleep since climbing in and out of our tall bed over and over while 80 extra pregnant pounds apparently doesn't allow for a good sleeping environment for the other person :) 

Saturday August 11th-
4 am- I was up! I ate some oatmeal and watched some Olympics in bed. I then took a shower and got all ready for the big day! I weighed myself this morning and woah... Pre-pregnancy I was 124 lbs, the morning of delivery I weighed in at 203! That is a total of 79 lbs... again probably a contributing factor to my physical discomfort. I knew so much of it was fluid and that every pound was worth healthy babies. 
As far as fears, I had NO FEAR of delivery. I was ready to get this show on the road. I had seen several births in nursing school and got the privilege to watch my last nephew and niece be born, and to be honest, It made me more confident to have a baby. I was planning on an epidural and just wanted to enjoy my day with family and friends. I thought of it as a party, and was ready to get things started. Of course there was the fear of the safe entrance into the world for our babies, but I knew that was in the Lord's hands, and I trusted his plan. 

5:30 am 8/11/12 Getting ready to leave for the hospital.

The rest of the story is straight from my husbands journal. He is a big writer. One who always keeps a journal, journaling life events, feelings and prayer. I asked him to keep a time specific journal of our day and he did a great job of doing so. That and more will come in part two. 


  1. can't wait for part two :) and I definitely will grab tissues before reading the next one- didn't make it through this one! So amazing to see how God brought you to this special day together. (ps: how do you have time to post this already?! you amaze me. um JR is 8 months old and still no birth story haha!)

  2. Such a sweet post, Kathleen. Looking forward to the next. Enjoy those sweet babies!

  3. You have inspired me to write down our birth story before it becomes a blur! I just love reading your are such an encouragement :)


Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger