38 Week Doctors Appointment...

Friday, April 24, 2015

WARNING: This post is kind of boring. Its just a lot of medical info mostly for my family and for my own record :)

Today I had my doctor's appointment with my first cervical check. I have been a bit anxious about this. All week we have just spent time in prayer, asking for Walker to drop, and I have been praying for encouragement from my doctor and for peace no matter the outcome. My doc is great, he hasn't seemed "C-section happy" but he also hasn't been like super encouraging and "lets do whatever it takes" to make this happen, like my MD back in Cincinnati. I am totally fine and okay with a C-section as a LAST result but I want someone to fight for my VBAC. I told him today he would be my hero if he could VBAC me! He smiled and I think he gets that I really want this. I also told him I don't think I am done having babies and that is what concerns me having repeated sections. He told me he has done 5 on a woman before and it really depends on how you scar. I thought today if Walker had not dropped, he would ask to go ahead and schedule a C section, but it was not that way at all, and thats all I hoped for and prayed for.  He said lets just give this time. Today I asked if he could strip my membranes (I had that done with the twins, even though it didn't start labor, I felt like it couldn't hurt to ask) but since I am Beta strep positive, he advised not to do it so he wouldn't introduce that to the baby ( 30% of pregnant women have this and it just means you have to be given antibiotics in the early stages of labor to protect baby coming out during birth) but he said if I progress more and we wanted to induce, he could strip and give me antibiotics to get things going. He really wanted to see SOME sort of progress with my cervix if a VBAC was wanted so he did a quick check and we found out I am...
1 cm dilated
50% effaced 
and baby has not "dropped"
He was really encouraged by this. He says he thinks I will be an excellent VBAC candidate, the only determining factor will be if baby will come down and engage in my pelvis, being that he is a big boy.
I also found out I have borderline "polyhydramnios" I had this with both twins too... its high levels of amniotic fluid in the baby's sac so we are going to continue to watch this to make sure it doesn't get too high.
He said, already having a C-section, he can't give any prostaglandins (which ripen the cervix) so the fact I am 50% thinned out on my own, is good news. But that he can give pitocin in small doses if needed. He can also break my water.
So a lot is still up in the air. Will I go into labor on my own? (IDEAL, and the sooner the better since he will only get bigger) will I need some help to get things going? Or will I go ahead and get a C-section? Only God knows, and I feel totally at peace knowing that He is in control. At the end of the day healthy momma, healthy baby is what we are striving for. I will continue to pray for the Lord's intervention in this whole situation and cling to his goodness and his presence throughout the whole process. 
Now we continue to pray for Walker to descend, for labor to start on it's own, for safety and progress with my cervix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger